Sunday, March 16, 2008

Thing #16 Learning a Language

I have always wanted to learn another language. I dabble in Italian -- mashing up some colloquial bits and pieces I learned from my father and grandparents, conversational classes I've taken, and some real practice in Italy. I WANT to learn the language. Well...as always, time is the biggest factor...and practice. It has been awhile since I've been to Italy and I have forgotten so much -- "use it or lose it".

I am enthralled with the LiveMocha site -- almost total immersion in your own living room. You can do the free lessons in several languages (unfortunately, Italian is not one of them), but the beauty of this site is the social-networking aspects. You can converse with other in your language of study, learn from them, and most importantly, USE the language skills. You can Skype with tutors and other language-learners, listen to podcasts, communicate via email or collaborative wikis/docs...you have all the tools of the Internet at your disposal. That is cool.
Get conversational! Develop reading, writing, listening and speaking skills by enrolling in a course for one of our six supported languages: English, French,
German, Spanish, Hindi, or Mandarin Chinese.
Practice with people from over 190 countries, speaking 27 languages, using text, audio, and video chat tools! (from the LiveMocha Site)
I may start the Spanish modules this summer, from a practicality standpoint; but I, romantically, wait for the time when Italian modules are available. Italian learners and tutors are available now, but I look forward to the Italian learning classes. I'll be there.

1 comment:

danny said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.